“The process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth”.
It involves receiving and using optimal nutrients to manage variations in health and disease.
Signs of good nutrition
- well developed body
- Ideal body weight
- Smooth skin
- Clear and bright eyes
- Glossy hair
- Alert facial expressions
A diet that lacks a full complement of healthy nutrients.
Undernourished individuals are limited in their.
- Physical work
- Immune function
- Mental activity
- Recovery ability from injury or illness
It occurs when nutritional stores are depleted and the body lacks sufficient nutrients for ADL’s.
It’s common in
- Impoverished conditions
- Individuals with chronic disease
An overabundance of nutrients exceeding health guidelines clinical signs of nutrition status.
During good nutrition face and neck become uniform in color and become pink posture becomes erect legs straight. weight is normal. endurance is good sleeps well normal heart rate normal blood pressure no swelling in extremities no weakness of extremities or skeleton. reflexes vision and sensations are normal.
During bad nutrition,face and neck become discolored, scaly, the dark skin over cheeks and under eyes. posture becomes irregular , the person becomes overweight.
- A person becomes fatigued looks tired.
- Tachycardia and increased blood pressure are another sign.
- Swelling in hands and feet develop.
- Legs and feet become weak,reflexes.
- Becomes weak,sensation becomes burning and tingling.